birding-aus

Fairy wrens

To: "crompton" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Fairy wrens
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:04:02 +1000
Hi G.Crompton,

I presume that you are referring to males in non-breeding as they lose their distinctive colouration. The tail of the Variegated is longer - not a great character unless you have both together. The blue in the tail of the Variegated is paler, that of the Superb is a dark blue. The illustrations in HANZAB show a black area in front of the eye of the Variegated (which I seem to remember from the field) but this is absent in the Superb. Of course, the best way is on call, although similar, the calls are quite distinctive with experience.

Regards

Greg Clancy