birding-aus

Spangled Drongo's.

To: "Stuart, Alan AD" <>
Subject: Spangled Drongo's.
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:04:32 +1000
Dear all Drongo records for Gloucester since I came to live here in Sept 2002 are one on each of - 7 March 2004, 2, 3, 6 & 20 Nov 2005, 4 Feb 2006. On the 3rd Nov, at 7.20am I watched a Drongo attack a Kookaburra with much shrieking and diving at it while perched in my mulberry tree. The Kooka dropped to the grass, picked up something yellow (couldn't see what) and flew off pursued by the Drongo. At 8.15am same morning I saw another/the same? Drongo chasing a Crimson Rosella. As you can seetjhese are all summer records.

I've also watched a Drongo hawking for insects and following a pair of Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes who tried to discourage it by brief half-hearted attacks.

Stuart, Alan AD wrote:
Mick Roderick didn't get the Spangled Drongo records for Newcastle and
the lower Hunter quite right.  It is predominantly present in winter,
for sure.  However, we have records for every month of the year.  Not
many, but some, for Nov and Dec.  The records for Feb and March in
particular, are reasonably consistent for locations such as Shortland
(at and around the Wetlands Centre). Sometimes it seems to be single
birds passing through.  But by late Feb, it's common to have birds
present at Shortland or at Belmont swamp (these being two locations
where observers often visit).
  Although it is not Sydney, we have Drongo's in Newcastle only during
winter, presumably where some birds unusually spend their non-breeding
time. Most references I have seen say that birds south from around the
Nambucca area (Macksville, Namubucca Heads) are non-breeding winter
migrants. Some birds are recorded outside of these times - I remember
well, literally in the dying minutes of the 2002 Twitchathon (which is
at the end of October), there was a lone Drongo sitting on the TV aerial
of the wetlands centre, very much a bonus bird for those teams finishing
there that day (that noticed it!)
  Mick

 wrote:
  Just a quick question regarding Spangled Drongo's in Sydney. I
recently moved from the western suburbs (Penrith) to Panania (Bankstown
Area) and on the first day I saw a Spangled Drongo in my street. Is this
unusual for this area or for this time of year? I've never noticed them
in Sydney before.