birding-aus

RFI northern Australia

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: RFI northern Australia
From: "Wim Vader" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:07:30 +0200

        Our great adventure 'down under' is now really going to happen. Riet
and I will arrive 26 July in Brisbane, take the train to Bundaberg, and have a
reunion with my RTW-sailing elder daughter and family at Bagara Beach. On 1
August we proceed to Cairns for a week in that wonderful area---here I've been
before, and we also will be at Kingfisher Lodge, on Chris Dahlberg's boat trip,
and in the capable hands of Allan Gillander, so I reckon we'll get all the
birding info that we need during this week.
        On 8 August we 'll fly on to Darwin, where we have rented a 4WD, with
which we plan to visit Kakadu and Katherine, before turning westwards to
Kununurra and the Gibb River Road, ending up in Broome around 21 August, for c
a week, partly in town, and partly at the Ornithological Station. (In Broome we
also hope to collect some amphipods; I understand the tidal amplitude there is
fearsome). For that part of the tour I shall be grateful for any tips of places
we ought not to miss, special places for special birds , etc etc, our trip is
more a general nature trip than a pure birding trip, but as the Dutch proverb
says: 'the blood creeps where it can't walk'. Nevertheless, I shall also be
very grateful for tips concerning what kind of book we can buy, steal or
borrow, which gives us a first handle on the botany of the area, especially if
we shall be able to buy this in Cairns or Darwin. We do have good litertaure on
the birds, mammals and reptiles of the area.
        We have already booked the places to stay overnight, so do not need
advise on that
        Many thanks in advance for your help.

Wim Vader, Tromsø Museum

9037 Tromsø, Norway