birding-aus

Grey-headed lapwing, Burren junction, NSW

Subject: Grey-headed lapwing, Burren junction, NSW
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:58:24 +1000
Hi all
Can't remember who was collecting names for the Great GHL Twitch to
Burren Junction but if you could put myself (Colin Reid) and Robert
Dougherty (both from Brisbane) down, that would be good!
Panic on Fri afternoon when no sign of the bird from 4.30pm - dark, then
success on Saturday morning.
Appears to roost? across the side road from the pub? I noticed in
several emails it has been seen there at, or near, first light. (There
is a shallow swampy patch there, note: this is from the side road, not
across the main road)
Then it seems to move voluntarily to near the silos around 7.30?
For those still to go it is seen very often in the field opposite the
silos - in the rough ground before the fence when approaching from the
pub direction, ie on your right. I know this all sounds pedantic, but if
you have driven several hundred kms and have a short turn around it can
be bloody difficult to spot when it's standing still in the rough
ground.
Camping at the Bore 3 kms before the town (from Wee Waa direction) was
good, if a little rough - it's free and the ice on your tent in the
morning is free too.....-3 last Friday night, so come prepared. The bore
at night is very pleasant, sitting in hot water under the stars, turning
into a prune.
The cabins behind the pub are about $65 per night but they seem to be
limited in availability, two people I know have got 'the last one'. Last
weekend there was a wedding which completely booked all the cabins -
don't know what's happening next weekend but advice is similar. Wee Waa
I believe has alternative accomodation, about 40 kms back down the road.
Meals in the pub are good value, but other stocks are limited to a small
service station.
We left Brisbane at 5.00am on Friday and arrived back at 18.30 on
Sunday, lots of on-the-road-birding which resulted in a total of 5 new
ticks for me and 3 for Robert (that's including the GHL for us both, of
course!) and about 28 hrs actually on the road......good fun, though!

Thankyou to all we met for a friendly, open greeting and discussion - we
shd do more of this!
Cheers and good luck!
Colin
--