birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwin

To: <>
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwin
From: "Neville Schrader" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 10:57:53 +1000
Hi all,

Well the GHL is still present, found within one minute of arrivial (1530, 6
July 2006) at Barron Junction, quite tame so long as you didn't leave your
vehicle. Had good views both on the ground feeding and in flight.

GrainCorp was shifting wheat as was a National Pacific train, along with road
traffic, so there was plenty of noise which did not seem to worry the bird, but
I suppose if you send you usual holidays in Kashmir or Vietnam you would be use
to people and noise.

Our trip went from Parkes to Coonamble then straight up through Pilliaga to
Barren Junction, then back to Coonamble for the night then across to Quambone,
to have a look at the Macquarie Marshes which was pretty well dry, where we did
find water there was always plenty of birds, Brolgas, Black Swans , Emus
,Masked Lapwings and Pied Stilts. On the road to Warren we also observed about
26 Chestnut-crowned Babblers (31.07 147.29) which was a little bit of a
surprise and would be at the eastern extremity of there distribution in NSW.

Neville W. Schrader OAM
2 Elizabeth St.,
Parkes NSW 2870