birding-aus

Grey-headed Lapwing - no 700

To: <>
Subject: Grey-headed Lapwing - no 700
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:45:37 +1000
When I first heard about the GHL, I was on an overseas birding trip and cursing
my luck for being away at such an inopportune time. However, when I arrived
back in Sydney on July 1st and found that the bird was still around, Louise and
I decided to head up to Burren Junction, jet-lagged or not.
We left Sydney at 05.00 yesterday (Wed 5th July) and at 12.45pm after 622kms,
we rolled into Burren Junction and saw the bird foraging close (about 15m) to
the road opposite the silos before we had even stopped the car. The purpose of
this posting is, a) to let Rohan add two more twitchers to his tally and, b) to
record that this was the 700th species for my Australian list. What a cracking
bird with which to pass that milestone!
Cheers
Roger McGovern