birding-aus

Reporting rarities

To: "'Frank O'Connor'" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Reporting rarities
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:02:55 +1000
Hi Frank & Birders

"The important thing is that you report them.  The record is still
there, even if it is not accepted."

In 1996 whilst travelling down the Canning Stock Route, we called into the
Calvert Ranges out in the Gibson Desert. Without going into too much detail,
I photographed a bird I'd heard calling and identified as a Brown Quail.
Checking the field guides, if my identification was correct, the  Brown
Quail was out of its normal range.
Four years later, around 1999/2000 I heard about b-a and contacted Frank
O'Connor, the only WA subscriber I could find, about the sighting. Frank
thought it was probably a Stubble Quail but to contact Ron Johnstone at the
WA Museum and advise him.
Ron requested the video footage, which was not all that good but the bird
was definitely recognisable and, as a bonus, was calling whilst I was
filming. I also sent some very badly blurred slides (quail do not stand
still for long). Juggling a video and SLR didn't help.
The end result of all this was the sighting was accepted and extended the
range of the Brown Quail by 400K's.
Not quite finding a new bird for Australia like the wonderful story of Brett
and Karen, but quite a thrill anyway.
It was worthwhile, even 4 years later, to report my sighting. You just never
know when something unusual is going to present itself to you.
Happy birding
Marlene.