birding-aus

The Lapwing and Semi Trip Report

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: The Lapwing and Semi Trip Report
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:30:22 +1000 (EST)
Hi All,

  (I realise that the timing of this posting is a couple of days behind, as the
GHL has been seen since, but we had trouble finding the Internet Cafe in Burren)

  Myself, Maggie Hristov and Craig Arms set off from Dubbo on Friday arvo,
choosing to stay in Wee Waa as we thought accommodation may be a bit stretched
in BJ that nite (apparently that wasn't the case). Prior to this I had made a
trip out to Goonoo Nature Reserve to stake out one of the better-known
Malleefowl mounds (just in case the recent rains had got them excited). No
Malleefowl but an assortment of other species including Eastern Ringneck,
Brown-headed Honeyeater and Spotted Quail-thrush.

  Arriving at BJ we joined 3 other vehicles crawling thru the town at walking
pace, beanie-clad passengers nodding to each other in recognition as we passed,
of why were here! Fortunately we then noticed that a group had located the
bird, 300m east of the silo's on the northern side of the road. We had
excellent views briefly before it flew off and settled behind some long grass
in front of a Mimosa bush. At this point the bird would have been
nigh-impossible to find had it not been watched flying there.

  I agree that this bird will probably hang around and it appears that it has
been there for quite some time as it obviously familiar with the town layout!
My advice to anyone who may be out there alone and having troubles finding it
is to simply persist. It seemed to be happy standing in long grass, which will
make it difficult to find. Like earlier suggested, pack a scope and look hard.

  We returned to Dubbo via the Warrumbungles where the White Box trees are
heavily flowering and being dominated by Noisy Friarbirds along with
Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters. No unusual species were seen,
although a male Rose Robin was interesting. White-browed Babblers and
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes were also presnt. Despite visting the W'bungles
and trying known recent sites at Gilgandra and areas between Dubbo and
Wellington-Parkes as well as near Comobella, I couldn't find any Superb
Parrots. The record from near BJ from John Leonard makes me wish I'd paid more
attention on the way back!

  One other record of note from the weekend was a flock of about 80 Little
Ravens 5km SW of Sandy Hollow in the Hunter Valley.

  Regards,
  Mick