birding-aus

Biological traits that predict diversificationratesin birds

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Biological traits that predict diversificationratesin birds
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:25:17 +1000
Firstly because our taxonomic system isn't based on caldistics. I am sure Carl Linnaeus had never heard of cladistics.

Taxonomy does not tell us what birds are ominvorous or are mobile. These traits came first, then the birds were slotted into taxa. Thus it becomes bleeding obvious that the reson these birds are grouped together is that they are similar. If a trait is successful then the group will be diverse, if not then it will be limited to a few species.

A taxon that is mobile and has a broad diet will spread far and wide, with lots of opportunites for diversification and to form new species.

Graham Turner