birding-aus

Oodnadatta Track

Subject: Oodnadatta Track
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:13:27 +0930
Hi ,

I have just been up the Oodnadatta Track, some interesting birds seen were :

Mallee Ringneck at Farina
* Chirruping Wedgebills at Hergott Springs
Inland Dotterels 0.5 way between Marree & Muloorina ( always great to see these birds )
Beautiful male Variegated Wren at Muloorina
* Thick-billed Grasswren adj. Lake Eyre Sth. lookout in sandy depression
Male * Hooded Robin at Old Peake ruins
Blue Bonnets, Mulga Parrots, Red-backed Kingfisher & Pink Cockatoo in Mulga Srub 30 - 40 ks above Glendambo.

* Red-browed Pardalote seen 10 ks above Coober Pedy on the track to Oodnadatta. I had good views of this bird noting its spotted crown and thick yellow horizontal stripes above & below the eye. I did not note any red brow. ( I may have missed it ) I checked three field guides and the closest bird was red-browed but none showed the broad yellow stripes.

* lifers

Cheers,

Peter.