birding-aus

RE: FW: [Birding-Aus] Bathurst, Dubbo, Warrumbungles, Piliga, Capertee a

Subject: RE: FW: [Birding-Aus] Bathurst, Dubbo, Warrumbungles, Piliga, Capertee and Katoomba - Trip Report
From: "Damien Farine" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:11:01 +1000
Hey Guys,
Well I am back onshore after a weekend of seabirding, got three more new ones to add to my list!

Anyhoo.. I also got the chance to speak to a few elite members of the 700ish club and learnt that yellow-rumped thornbills occur out in fields acting like finches. I had previously always associated thornbills with trees, proving that you can learn about bush-birds while at sea!

However, the question still arises about the fact that I did get unto one bird which to me was greenfinch size and, well, quite green. In saying this, it could be a coincidence that the other birds landed NEAR this bird in the grassy field and this was the only one I could see due to its larger size. However I did experience with these birds the frustration of going after them, and getting within 80 metres or so and them flying off.. They just never sat still!

On to the Gilbert's Whistler, I did try look for it however didn't see anything at the spot I was told it was seen the day before. This was at the top of the hill following the small bridge crossing coming into the valley on the main road. Apparently the bridge was still in sight as the bird was observed giving good views.

However, I do remember early that morning stopping just up crown station road from the intersection in the first patch of bush where I watched my first crested shrike-tit and behind it seeing a rather odd looking grey shrike-thrush that wasn't really acting like a shrike-thrush.. at the time telling myself I had an over-active imagination. However this is quite close to the spot it was seen the first day so who knows? I certainly never will ;)

Thanks for all the response anyways! I won't be counting greenfinches just yet, leave them for another day. I should have gone for the orange chat at Malabar and gotten them then! But thats life. 11 birds to get till I get to 300, then I think I will qualify to start looking at waders and counting them :P

Cheers,
Damien