birding-aus

Pale-headed rosellas in love triangle

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pale-headed rosellas in love triangle
From: "Jill Dening" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:36:51 +1000
Hi All,

I have just been watching a fascinating play of love spurned. It took me a
while to work out what was happening.

Two Pale-headed Rosellas, which are residents of our garden, have been
making quite a bit of noise this afternoon. I haven't been able to identify
the sexes for sure, but if the leads in HANZAB are definitive, the brighter
male is not in favour, whilst the duller female is sitting close to her
reflection in the sliding glass door of the garage. A fence by the steps
terminates at the glass, and she has been continually returning to this
position. He is sticking to her like glue, but isn't a happy chappy, as she
is obsessed with the bird in the reflection. They are not tame birds, and it
is interesting that my husband was having his afternoon zizz not more than 3
metres from the activity, and was clearly visible through our all-glass
loungeroom.

Pardon me for anthropomorphising, but I could just see the misery on the
face of the spurned lover as he sat listlessly next to her, whilst the
"third bird" in the glass appeared to interest her more. Every so often The
spurned lover would nudge her gently, but she didn't respond. At the same
time, she did not reject him overtly.

After I had been watching this play for a while, I realised I had a big
smile on my face. And they gave it away eventually.

Cheers,

Jill
Sunshine Coast, Qld