birding-aus

Ground Parrot

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ground Parrot
From: "storm" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:14:54 +1000
People interested in the ground parrot reported here earlier may be
interested in this information.

I have a picture if someone is willing to post it on their site. email me
off list and I will email it to you.

cheers

storm

----

Thanks for passing on the report about the Ground Parrot (Pezoporus wallicus
wallicus) I think it will be the one in the picture attached. The bird was
collected by a contractor for Sydney Water in April. It was found in the
gutter with all its tail feathers plucked (probably a car or fox), a mild
infection and emaciated (61g). The bird collected by WIRES from the
contractor and has been in my hospital aviary for a six weeks while its tail
feathers developed (now 85mm though asymetric in development), it had PCD
tests and regained weight (currently 75g which probably means it is a male
as the weight has been stable for a few weeks). The PCD tests were OK for
release back to site and it now requires a week or so in an avairy to get
some serious exercise.

WIRES has taken five Ground Parrots over the last decade but all were in the
Yamba/Angourie region.

Thw Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) is Australia's
largest wild animal rescue and rehabilitation service with 2,000 volunteers
dealing with 30,000 animals a year in NSW. We are funded entirely by public
donations through the efforts of our membership and the head office.

Chris Lloyd
Training Officer
WIRES
PO Box 260