birding-aus

Capertee Birds

Subject: Capertee Birds
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:07:36 +1000
Carol,
Having been involved with surveys for the past few years for the Sydeny Catchment Authority (SCA) Special Areas (including Warragamba) I have also seen the Emus in the Burragorang Valley. As there is no doubt that Emus once occurred there, as you say there is conjecture on the nature of those currently living there. As far as we could find out, the Emus are believed to have derived from some that were released at some stage in the 70s. They seem to be slowly spreading, with records from recent years from further up the Wollondilly Valley and also in the Nattai Valley to the east. The habitat in the valley seems perfect for them and the hundreds of roos also seem to be pretty happy there.
Were the White Boxes flowering and were any Regents or Swifties about?
Cheers,
Peter