birding-aus

'noddy-bird' puzzle, 1699, William Dampier

Subject: 'noddy-bird' puzzle, 1699, William Dampier
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:15:07 +1000
'noddy-bird' puzzle, 1699, William Dampier--

After some enjoyable time spent puzzling through my books, I thought I might put the quote below to you birders. This passage is excerpted from Tim Flannery's 'The Explorers', pp.32-33. In 1699 Dampier made these observations while still three days' sail away from Roebuck Bay (n-w WA). To what bird is he referring? I've tried various guesses, but none entirely satisfactory.

'August--The 28th day we had between twenty and forty fathom. We saw no land this day but saw a great many snakes and some whales. We saw also some boobies and noddy-birds; and in the night caught one of these last. It was of another shape and colour than any I had seen before. It had a small long bill, as all of them have; flat feet like ducks' feet; its tail forked like a swallow but longer and broader, and the fork deeper than that of the swallow, with very long wings. 'The top or crown of the head of this noddy was coal-black, having also small black streaks round about and close to the eyes; and round these streaks, on each side, a pretty broad white circle. The breast, belly and underpart of the wings of this noddy were white; and the back and upper part of its wings of a faint black or smoke colour... 'The 30th day, being in latitude 18* 21", we [saw] the land again... and having fair weather and moderate breezes I steered in towards it. At four in the afternoon I anchored in eight fathom water, clear sand, about three leagues and a half from the shore... This evening we saw an eclipse of the moon...'

Cheers,
Judith.