birding-aus

Ethabuka, Simpson Desert, south-western Qld.

To: <>
Subject: Ethabuka, Simpson Desert, south-western Qld.
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:52:47 +1000
On Saturday, June 10, 2006, at 04:25  PM, Keith Stockwell wrote:

< snip  >

Handout notes we were given listed Yellow Chat but digital pictures one of
the other birders took of the Chat showed conclusively, when the photos
were enlarged on a laptop computer, that it was an Orange Chat even though,
from a distance, those who saw it took it to be a Yellow Chat. Just as
well, as I would have been annoyed being so close yet missing out on a
Yellow Chat.

Some friends from near Bendigo recently paid good money to go on a cruise somewhere in the Northern Territory because the tour operator advertised that Yellow Chats were always observed on the cruise. Strange, my friends thought, because the habitat hardly seemed appropriate. When, during the
cruise, the operator pointed out Yellow Chats, the birds were, in fact,
Lemon-bellied Flycatchers!

The moral of the story is to beware of sales and marketing. Tour operators have a motive to "talk up" offerings/prospects. They may also have a marginal grip on what they observe.

Regards, Laurie