birding-aus

WTP, Melbourne

To: "Dave Torr" <>, <>
Subject: WTP, Melbourne
From: "Margaret Cameron" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:38:45 +1000
I am interested in this discussion about duck shooting on the WTP foreshore. At least 15 years ago when Ray Marginson was Chair of the Water Board we had a discussion about people shooting ducks just below high water mark. (The ducks in question were actually standing on the beach on the wet sand left by the receding tide - hardly sporting!) He was horrified. Some time later he told me that the legal situation had changed and that it was now illegal to shoot there - I think the change was to low water mark but it may have been further out. This applied to the WTP only and not to other parts of Port Phillip Bay.

I understand that shooting is legal up to high water mark where it has not been made illegal; I believe that for a populated area like PP Bay it should be illegal unless an area has been specifically designated a hunting zone. Well actually I believe it should be illegal everywhere but if there is going to be legal shooting, it certainly should not take place where there are people, boats, pets etc or where the shore and the land behind it is a protected conservation area.

Margaret Cameron
2 Cintra Street
Eastern Heights
Queensland 4305