birding-aus

NSW Prospect Reservoir (western Sydney) - 21st May 2006

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW Prospect Reservoir (western Sydney) - 21st May 2006
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 19:24:07 +1000
Last Sunday (21st May 2006) I made another visit to Prospect Reservoir
(approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD).

My highlights that morning included seeing in one scope view a raft of
about 90 Hoary-headed Grebes with a raft of 60 or so Great Crested Grebe
just behind it (an impressive sight indeed), both a Grey and a Brown
Goshawk (the former was seen close to last years nesting area as I often
find one), 4 Whistling Kites, a pair of adult and a juv. White-bellied
Sea-eagles (the later bird I saw diving down to the water only metres in
front of me), a Peregrine Falcon, 4 Musk Lorikeets, many Rose Robins
(two adult males seen amongst the brown young/female birds), Weebills,
lots of Brown Gerygones, a few Varied Sitellas, a few Fuscous
Honeyeaters, many Spotted and Striated Pardalotes, a single flock of 15
Chestnut-breasted Mannikins (interestingly all juv. birds with no adult
birds seen) and heard a Common Bronzewing.

There appears to be good numbers of winter birds at Prospect this year
though not much in terms of Honeyeaters. However, I have not seen as
much Brown Gerygones since I have been there (several were in with
Silvereyes, Pardalotes and Yellow Thornbills.

Edwin Vella