birding-aus

Re: Glossy roadtrip

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: Glossy roadtrip
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 09:33:56 +1000
This might be my first report from an unsuccessful twitch. I left home under
very grey skies and with rain approaching, and drove straight into the
Wheeny Ck reserve in Wollemi NP. Scoured the Casuarina stands on either
ridge, and walked up the creek in a couple of directions to check out the
gullies of the tributaries. No luck, hardly a bird to bee seen, a few
plaintive calls from the Golden Whistlers, and a solemn Kooka, but little
else. The rain was closing in, and as nice as it was, there weren't many
more birds to see.

Headed over to Mitchell Park next, to be greated with a similar story. The
ground all around was dry as a bone, and the water looked terrible. A few
forlorn Swamp hens paddled around, and the odd spotted pardalote called from
the trees. I walked virtually every track in the reserve and saw very little
apart from a fleeing Wonga. Definitely no glossies, and I haven't seen any
feeding trees yet either.

Toddled off home, with a quick stop at the McGrath's Hill pondage. Plenty of
Avocets, glossy ibis, and Pacific Blacks, and a couple of black winged
stilt, which was nice to see. And pelicans in the background, flying in
formation. Pretty grim day all round, the final image of the day being a
handful of Aussie Ravens in the dam across the road from the McGrath Hill
ponds. The 'dam' in now too dry to wet a hanky, and the fish that were left
are now lying over the rocks for the ravens to pick over, bloated and shiny
in the sun.

We need some rain, pretty badly. I suspect that if I could find some good
water and casuarina my Glossy prayers will be anwered.

Evan