birding-aus

Philipines Eagle Status?

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Philipines Eagle Status?
From: "Chris Armstrong" <>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:07:21 +1000
Dunno about Phillipines Eagles but have personally observed WTE to take a small joey. Just after sunrise (March 1990) I watched 4 birds take several minutes to seperate it from the rest of the mob and each bird took it in turns to swoop on it before 1 knocked it down. By that time the joey had been hard hopping for about 250m and was about spent. When I returned to the spot a couple of hrs later, there was nothing left except a small blood patch on the track. I recently (9.5.06) saw 2 WTE harrass a flock of about 30 Red-tailed Black Cockatoos. Not sure how serious they were, but 1 bird flew in low and below the mob while the other circled high overhead. The RTBT circled for a minute or 2 then headed for the trees (they had been feeding on the ground about 500m from any trees). As they did so, the higher WTE stooped in and scattered the RTBT, but was unable to seperate a bird. As the scattered RTBT headed for the trees, the WTE followed, but I lost sight of both spp so am "none the wiser" as to the final outcome. I once observed Whistling Kites to do the same to a flock of Galahs, but with a positive outcome as far as the Kites were concerned.

Chris Armstrong
BASQ Liaison
Warwick QLD