birding-aus

OBP at WesternTreatment Plant, Werribee

To: birding-aus <>, VicBirdline <>
Subject: OBP at WesternTreatment Plant, Werribee
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:25:19 +1000
Had a great day at the plant today (aren't they always great there?) with
Rod Fairclough, a visiting British birder.

Got off to a good start with two Spotless Crakes on 35E-9 Conservation Pond.
The 270S Borrow Pit yielded large numbers of Red-kneed Dotterel. Then
driving along the "high road" at the back of the Borrow Pit we saw a strange
shape in the top of the reeds - which proved to be a female OBP! It flew off
towards the beach and we gave chase, but lost it.

Stopped to look for Baillon's Crake at the 5W-10 pond and instead scored TWO
Aussie Bitterns.

Lunch at the hide, and then just walking down the track outside when a
Lewin's Rail scampered across - Rod unfortunately missed that one,

The Spit yielded two Spotted Crakes and great views of a Lewin's Rail, as
well as 4 Blue-winged Parrots. Finally on the drive home up Farm Rd we saw a
young Hobby.

Lots of Double-banded Plovers and Red caps/Black-fronted as well - good
numbers of Curlew Sandpipers, some in almost breeding plumage, as were the
Godwits. Failed to find any Greenshank, which made a change.

Few noticeable "dips" though - couldn't find the Phalarope. No Native Hens
in the usual Austin Rd site and only ONE Shelduck all day. And the paddock
near Avalon that has been reliable for Banded Lapwings for months now has
fresh grass in it and no Lapwings.
=subscribe>