birding-aus

Pacific Highway vs Eastern Coastal Emu

Subject: Pacific Highway vs Eastern Coastal Emu
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:24:56 +1000
The point that Andrew makes is not strictly true. The population of Emu on the North Coast has been considered by the NSW Scientific Committee as an endangered population (see link listed below) and so has to be at least considered as part of an envirionmental assessment.

However, many people tend to question the legitimacy of these endangered populations (including to a point myself) and they are probably the least biologically rigorous. However, the population is considered to have declined and so should at least be monitored. How you define a "genuinely threatened species" is I guess the question.
Cheers,
Peter

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/content/emu+population+in+the+nsw+north+coast+bioregion+and+port+stephens+local+government+area+endangered+population++listing