birding-aus

Recent birding mid North Coast NSW

To: "" <>
Subject: Recent birding mid North Coast NSW
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:11:55 +1000

Dear birders

On 1st May, went with a friend to visit Seale Road Swamp, east of Kempsey, NSW mid North coast - 31 06 49 - 152 56 53. The expected wetland birds were there in force, ie: Black Swans, Chestnut Teal, Cattle Egret, White-faced Herons, etc., but also 4 Glossy Ibis, a few Pink-eared Ducks and A.Shovelers, 6 Royal Spoonbills and at least 60 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers hiding behind reeds and ducks- impossible to count accurately, even with the 'scope, and looking into the sun.. Driving on north to Seale Rocks, we saw one Osprey, common in the area I am told.

Driving home we decided to have a look in Maria River National Park and got hopelessly lost, ending up driving out the track we entered by. However we found one bird hotspot - by a creek with flowering Swamp Mahoganys 31 10 06 - 152 53 05, but note, Alan Morris and David Geering, no Regent Honeyeaters or Swift Parrots. 18 species were present, including Little, Rainbow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets, Scarlet, White-cheeked, White-naped and Yellow-faced honeyeaters, Noisy Friarbirds, Crested Shrike-tits and Varied Sitellas.