birding-aus

How about now best rubbish tip for birding?

To: Edwin Vella <>
Subject: How about now best rubbish tip for birding?
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 22:27:26 +0930

Edwin Vella wrote:
The East Maitland Tip near Newcastle NSW was good for a pair of Black
Falcons, 25 or more Black  Kites, Spotted Harrier and 10 other species
of raptor.

Good topic.

Rubbish tips can be great places for birding but I rarely go to our local tip these days.

About once every 2 years is enough.

That's because our local council - sorry - the operators on behalf of the council, charge about $24 for a 6x4 trailer load. Consequently, our weekly pick-up sees our wheelie bin wheelie full. We now go to the recycling depot far more times every year, so that's a good thing too. Recycling depots don't tend to have too many birds - not here anyway. Perhaps to odd House Sparrow or two, and maybe a Spotted Turtle Dove.

On a more positive note, many years ago I remember frequenting the Port Augusta rubbish tip. It was home to thousands of silver gulls and not much else except a few ravens. The Meningie tip (1 hour south of here)usually had a few silver gulls, plenty of Black Kites and Little Ravens and dozens of Ibis, usually White and Straw necked. And even a few pelicans!

That's enough rubbish from me for now,

Happy birding

Trevor
--