birding-aus

to whom do you report feral spp. (Rose-ringed Parrakeets) for removal?

To: <>
Subject: to whom do you report feral spp. (Rose-ringed Parrakeets) for removal?
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 16:08:59 +1000
A friend who is relatively new to birding had told me that when he was at a
Christmas lunch at Terrey Hills in Sydney's northern suburbs (near Kuring-gai
National Park) that he observed a flock of 20-30ish Superb Parrots in nearby
fruit trees, on power lines etc.  I suggested that these would have to be
aviary escapes or their progeny since they were out of normal range.  Well,
time has passed and it was only the other day i asked if he could forward on
one of the pics he took, which he said were not very good.  When he did he sent
an email saying that he wasn't so sure that they were Superb Parrots after all,
maybe they were some exotic parrot instead.  I opened the photo and it turned
out to be of a Rose-ringed Parrakeet.

So there is (or was at Christmas) a flock of between 20 to 30 of these
beautiful but potentially damaging birds flying around in an area adjacent to a
major national park.  As much as i don't like the thought of birds being
destroyed, i have heard that these birds are having major negative impacts on
other species where they are introduced in other parts of the world.

As a teenager I saw a population of these build up from 2 to around 20 over the
course of 6 years or so, and then disappear (NSW Central Coast), but didn't
report them, since I wasn't sure of whom I should have been reporting anything
to (including those sightings of local rarities of which i had no idea of the
significance at the time).  Since I have managed to be lucky once, I wouldn't
want to risk these birds taking a hold a second time, the luck may not hold.

So who should these birds be reproted to?  National parks?  the relevant local
council?  I know it's one thing to put in a BARC submission, or a rarities
report of some kind, but who takes reports of species which need to be ousted
as soon as possible?

Any ideas?

By the way, anybody in that area seen a flock of these flying aournd recently?

Cheers,

Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274