birding-aus

Spotless Crakes, Wynnum, Brisbane, Qld

Subject: Spotless Crakes, Wynnum, Brisbane, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 14:20:30 +1000
Hi
Hemmant reserve (Quarry) and Fuller reserve area, Wynnum West. In to the
quarry reserve 6.15, this time with Robert. Altitudinal and winter
migration has brought Rufous and Golden Whistlers, Spangled Drongos,
Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Grey Fantails, 1 Leaden Flycatcher and a
Shining Bronze Cuckoo to the woodland. Some of these species may breed
here during Summer but I feel the numbers have increased due to the
season. They were feeding in groups, not holding territory, all in
together!
Moving on to the pond and channel area off Sandy Camp rd (UBD 142 Q16)
we wandered through and around the newly developed area noting Magpie
Geese, Reed Warblers, Black-fronted Dotterel and Royal Spoonbill among
loads of commoner species. We sat for a few minutes in the newly built
observation platform (wonder why they didn?t make it a bird hide
instead?) and were just about to leave when I spotted a small dark bird
at the base of the reedbed about 25 meters away to the left. Drawing R?s
attention to it we shortly had 2 Spotless Crakes running in and out of
the reedbed. Although not rare these, like all Crakes and Rails, are
difficult to spot and it?s always a thrill to see them. In this case
especially for R as it was a new bird for him! We managed a couple of
long distance shots, but nothing to write home about?
Back around the corner to the Fuller reserve itself and a casual stroll
out to the pond ? Red-kneed Dotterels (4), Black-fronted Dotterels (17)
and Sharp-tailed Sands (15) fed out on the exposed mud, 1 Coot and a
Kestrel harassed by a Crow were new birds for this spot for us. A single
Yellow-rumped Thornbill and 7 Wandering Whistle Ducks were nice
additions to our day list.

(The Spotless Crakes should be easy enough to see if one remains seated
quietly and watches the edge of the reedbeds)

Cheers
Colin
--
  Colin Reid