birding-aus

Spangled drongo at Currarong, NSW south coast (and 3 cheers for Chelsea!

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Spangled drongo at Currarong, NSW south coast (and 3 cheers for Chelsea!!)
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:37:43 +1000
Dear all,

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday Saturday 29 April to see a Spangled Drongo /Dicrurus bracteatus /perched on a transmission wire at around 2pm at Currarong, on the coast about 25 km east of Nowra on the NSW mid-south coast.

Initially I thought that it must be an overwintering bird but Hoskin's Bird of Sydney assures me that the peak months for this bird in Sydney and south are March through July, with more recent guides stating that south of c. Macksville on the mid-north NSW coast it is a winter migrant, arriving in March-April and leaving in September-October.

I was unable to get a close enough view to check the age status of the bird.I did not hear the bird call though a 9 year old in our group (who is familiar with the bird from Darwin) said that he had heard the bird call earlier that afternoon.

Cheers and I'd be interested in further sightings from the south coast or eastern Victoria to see if it's winter migration range is changing.

BTW - is anyone aware of other winter migrants to this part of the world we might also look out for?

And three cheers for Chelsea, back to back Premier League championships!!

--
Robert Gosford
M Phil Candidate