birding-aus

Trip Report to Lake Murphy, near Kerang Vic.

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Trip Report to Lake Murphy, near Kerang Vic.
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:16:06 +1000
Dear All
A quick report on stuart's and my trip to Lake Murphy to attempt to catch up
with the Lt Stint.

Having left Melbourne reasonably early on Anzac Day, we headed for Lk
Murphy(LM).  Caught up with a female Collared Sparrowhawk at Serpentine.
Arrived at LM late morning to find that Tom Weller and David Palmer from
Deniliquin were already scoping for the stint.  They hadn't had any luck in
finding it, even after walking around LM.  Between us, and Peter Fuller, we
managed to scope 2 Long-toed Stint, about a dozen double-banded plover, a good
number of Sharpies, many very nicely coloured Red-necked stints and a good
flock of Red-necked avocets. But no Lt Stint was found.  Lucky I got it at
Cheetham!!

On Tom and David's advice, we headed north to the large area of cumbungi in
search of both spotted and spotless crakes.  Both species were seen with up to
4 spotted crakes observed at once. There were a large number of Red-kneed
dotterels around the cumbungi as well.  I counted more than 30, in an area not
much bigger than a tennis court, at once before a passing raptor had them all
scurrying for cover.  Also seen there were 2 Wood Sandpipers.  A nice place to
visit with around 50 species of birds seen for the time we were there.

We also picked up Diamond Firetail, White-browed Woodswallow and Brown Quail at
Leaghur SF and Grey-crowned Babbler near Lake Merang.

We got around 85 species for the day.  And to top it off, the Bombers had a few
"bird strikes" and went down at the "G" also!!!!  Go te PIES!!.

Yours in all things "green"

Regards

John Harris
Environmental Education Officer