birding-aus

Currawong Migration?

To: "Evan Beaver" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Currawong Migration?
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:37:23 +1000
Hi Evan,

Yes, Pied Currawongs do migrate in a rather complex fashion. Some references suggest a north-south movement, other references suggest an altitudinal movement while others describe winter flocking in urban areas. Here in the Blue Mountains the main movements appear to be in an east-west direction. I generally see large numbers flying west through Katoomba during the autumn-winter months. Where they're going, I have no idea.

Some years ago, John Farrell at Springwood NSW did a study of their migration patterns and while the findings are too complicated to easily summarise here they were published as the following paper: Farrell, JR, (1995) 'Movement patterns of Pied Currawongs Strepera graculina in central western New South Wales'. Corella 19(3): pp 95-102.

For such a common bird we know so little.

This morning the Yellow-faced/White-naped Honeyeater migration was only slightly less impressive than the huge numbers I reported last Saturday, with around 5850 birds per hour flying over my street. As soon as the sky became cloudy about 11am, migration stopped.

cheers,
Carol

Katoomba
Blue Mountains, NSW