birding-aus

Incredible abundance of Brown-headed Honeyeaters

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Incredible abundance of Brown-headed Honeyeaters
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:52:11 +1000
G'day birders

I've been frequenting the Castlereagh Forest of late, just out of Windsor. The
areas dominated by Ironbarks tend to be somewhat quiet for now (waiting for
them to come into flower). However, elsewhere is extremely productive.
Diversity isn't so great (40ish species on average each visit) but abundance is
totally overwhelming. The birding is absolutely non-stop and you really don't
know which bird to focus on at any one time. One receives the impression that
you're walking through a never-ending flock of thornbills.

In the course of the last few weeks I've observed a very high abundance of
Acanthizids (little brown birds), Spotted Pardalotes (who isn't, this time of
year around Sydney?), juve Golden Whistlers and very good numbers of
Brown-headed Honeyeaters foraging in the treetops and apparently feeding upon
lerps almost exclusively. They are totally ignoring the blossoms on the Red
Bloodwoods. It is of interest to note that I found these honeyeaters quite
common on the Waratah Track in Ku-ring-gai National Park last week too. I've
never seen these birds as abundant as they are at present since I took up
birding some decades ago.

For those of you have found the BH Honeyeater difficult in the past, I'd
suggest that you head straight out to Castlereagh Forest and you'll have no
troubles locating them.

Here's a composite of my last two visits (the only difference between this week
and last week is that I didn't see any raptors, Speckled Warblers or black
cockatoos today):

Brown Goshawk
Little Eagle (light morph)
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo