birding-aus

Closure of sea wall in Korea

To: "birding aus" <>, "Broome Bird Observatory" <>
Subject: Closure of sea wall in Korea
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:44:48 +1000
This is an extract from an email which I received from Danny Rogers a few
minutes ago . . .

Hi Ricki,

All is as well with me as can be expected right now, given that I'm at
Saemangeum and they closed the sea-wall yesterday. Such a tragedy. Over
100,000 shorebirds using the system at the moment, and in the next couple
of days they are going to find out that they aren't just experiencing an
unusually neapy tide, but that the tide will never come in again here.
We're going to have some bad population declilnes over the next couple of
years, I think mostly in Eastern Australia.

Black news, I'm afraid.

In tears . . .
Ricki Coughlan
Sydney, Australia