birding-aus

Long Weekend Ticks

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Long Weekend Ticks
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:50:56 +1000
Birders,
A long weekend has just passed and there were some new finds. Any exciting
ticks out there? Here's mine:

Added 7 on the weekend, but nothing too rare or interesting. Reading up at
home just about every bird represents the most commonly found member of its
family.
Black Browed albatross, seen from the rocks at Point Perpendicular
Curlew Sandpiper
Bar-Tailed Godwit. Which was pretty exciting, quite unusual looking for me
and migrated from Siberia! I know where I'd rather live.

Little Tern, which are apparently endangered, but I think that's only at
that location
Sooty Oystercatcher, which are so easily recognised now. Very distinctive
look and jizz
Red-Capped plover. Which are about as big as a tennis-ball when sitting
down. I saw one in the sand, got the bins onto it, then realised there were
15-20 all around it.
Little Cormorant, which was just a formality really, just confirming ID
ability.

Also exciting, but not new were an Osprey, many WB Sea Eagles in particular
an acrobatic family of Mum Dad and 2 immatures, an excellent look at a
Little Tern, in profile, in flight, from about 2-6m for minutes on end. A
Black-Shouldered Kite flying manouvers through the canopy with Currawong in
pursuit. And mega flocks of Red-Brow Finch and Silvereyes, birds I had only
previously seen in small flocks.
The birding down there was excellent. Spent only 30 minutes of actual
birding time, the rest was incidental to eating fish and chips or fishing.
Plenty of great habitat around there, particularly on Point Perp and Lake
Wollumbulla (sp?). I'll be going back, maybe in winter for a day spent on
and around the cliffs near the Lighthouse, climbing and birding.

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW