birding-aus

Glossy Black Cockatoos in the Sydney region

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Glossy Black Cockatoos in the Sydney region
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:48:37 +1000
I was chatting with a local - French's Forest, Sydney - today about some
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos which turned up in her yard yesterday. She
remarked that ". . . they were'nt as beautiful as the ones with the red in
their tails though." I inquired further and she was adamant that black
cockatoos with red in their tails visit the area occasionally.

I generally don't trust the observations of non-birders so much but it's pretty
hard to confuse red with another colour and she is capable of knowing what a
black cockatoo is, at least on the basis of her ID of the YTBCs, which do
frequent our area.

So, it sounds a little far-fetched even for one who realises that birds have
wings; but does anyone have records of Glossy Black-Cockatoos in the northern
beaches hinterlands/French's Forest areas?

I'd also be interested in accounts which might help us to build a bit of a
picture of their movements in the greater Sydney region.

Happy birding
Ricki Coughlan
Sydney, Australia

www.rickicoughlan.com/aussiebirds