birding-aus

RFI: Hooded Plover

To: birding aus <>
Subject: RFI: Hooded Plover
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:16:16 +1000
Saw quite a few Hooded Plover this afternoon at Lonsdale Lakes at Pt Lonsdale, VIC. 3 adults in the first group, 3 and a juvenile in the 2nd, and finally a juvenile by itself as all the waders were settling down at their roost just after sunset.

There are still quite a few waders here. I only arrived half an hour before sunset so couldn't really get much of a count done. The lakes run on for about 2.5 Km and much of the shoreline holds good numbers of waders at various times. I estimated around 12-1500 individuals at the roost site, mostly Red-necked Stints and Curlew Sandpiper, plus around 10-15% Double-banded Plover. The following species were observed - numbers in brackets indicate the greatest number of individuals at any one time, but I didn't get to count many species.

Black Swan
Pacific Black Duck
[Greylag Goose - there are occasionally 2 or 3 here, including 1 white bird - just 1 grey today]
Chestnut Teal
Hoary-headed Grebe
Little Pied Cormorant
White-faced Heron
Royal Spoonbill  (1)
Common Greenshank (2)
Red-necked Stint  (>500)
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (1)
Curlew Sandpiper   (>300)
Black-winged Stilt
Banded Stilt (12)
Red-necked Avocet
Red-capped Plover
Double-banded Plover (<150)
Hooded Plover (4, but see note above)
Masked Lapwing
Silver Gull
Superb Fairy-Wren
White-browed Scrubwren
Red Wattlebird
New Holland Honeyeater
White-fronted Chat
Flame Robin (1 Male)
Pink Robin (1 'brown' bird)
Willie Wagtail
Grey Fantail
Australian Magpie
Welcome Swallow

This is also a good spot for Striated Fieldwren - I've seen it here on my last couple of visits, but not today.

Russell Woodford