birding-aus

Good birding at Gluepot

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Good birding at Gluepot
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:29:28 +0930
Hi all
I spent the day at Birds Australia Gluepot Reserve ("Gluepot") yesterday,
and contrary to the past few years, autum conditions are excellent. Some
light rain the day before had settled the dust and freshened things up, and
some of my more interesting sightings include:
Red-lored Whistler - 2 singing, of which one seen well
Gilberts Whistler - 3 singing, of which one seen well
Striated Grasswren - heard in many places, 2 seen well (one displayed a
strange reaction to my 'pishing': it ran around with its wings spread out
and tail flat)
Black-eared Miner - a number of small flocks of miners, each including
hybrids and a few very dark birds that met the BEM ID criteria
Malleefowl - one working its mound
3 species of robin (Hooded, Red-capped, Jacky Winter)
6 species of honeyeater (Yellow-plumed, Spiny-cheeked, Striped,
Brown-headed, White-fronted and Pied (at least 25 Pied Honeyeaters in one
flock!)
Chestnut Quail-thrush - a few
Southern Scrubrobin - 2 heard
2 Southern Boobooks, on separate occasions, flew up from the base of a
mallee tree.
It just goes to show that with the right conditions, birding in the mallee
can be good any time of year!
For more details, please check out my website (below).

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia

SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.com