birding-aus

Windfarms and Noise

Subject: Windfarms and Noise
From: MetaSense Pty Ltd <>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:39:05 +0800
I know this is not to do with birds but quite a few people have made passing comments about other aspects of windfarms. (One comment was about their relative quietness.) There are quite a few sites on the internet but you might like to try

"http://www.windfarm.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm";

for some criticism by someone who does live near one.

The exerpts below were taken from their site

"So, what's the sound like...?
Our experience ..... the blade thump can be heard at distances of up to 1.5 Km away.

...... don't let a windfarm developer convince you that wind turbines are quiet!
Because it is generally rhythmic, it's not the kind of noise that you can shut out of your mind, like, say, distant road noise - this is why we think the noise level stipulation on the planning conditions of such a windfarm development is woefully inadequate for protecting local residents from the noise effects of a windfarm.

All of us agree that the most disturbing aspect of the noise is the beat that we think is caused by the blades passing the tower of the turbine. As the rotational speed of the 3 bladed turbines is about 28 rpm "on full song" this results in a sound of about 84 beats per minute from each turbine.

The sound rises and falls in volume due to slight changes in wind direction but the end result for those in the affected area is a feeling of anxiety, and sometimes nausea, as the rate continually speeds and slows .....
In this area we all agree that the worst conditions are when the wind is blowing lightly and the background noise is minimal. Under these conditions residents up to 1 kilometre have complained to the Environmental Health department about the drone from the turbines. Unfortunately these are just the sort of weather conditions that you would wish to be outside enjoying your garden.

Of course when the wind is not blowing at all and the turbines are completely still the problem disappears and we can enjoy our gardens and homes, almost as if the windfarm was never there.

During the summer nights it is not possible for some residents, even as far away as 1000 metres, to sleep with the window open due to the blade thump. The summer months are the worst and the noise chases people from gardens, conservatories and in some cases their houses because some residents have even taken to staying with friends when the noise is particularly bad.
etc."

I am sure that I wouldn't want to live anywhere remotely close to a windfarm.

Andrew