birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters - Capertee

To: Nevil Lazarus <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeaters - Capertee
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 05:52:02 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Birding-Ausers,

Today Sunday 09 April I and Hiroshi went to Capertee
Valley and we saw about 20 Regents persisting at one
site from 1230pm - 230pm. This is my highest count
sofar.

Thank Nevil for giving the direction along Crown
Station Road. Although we did not find any Regents at
the site mentioned except small number of
Yellow-tufted, White-plumed Honeyeater and ever
dominant Noisy Friarbirds in very sunny noon.

However we were stunned by a galore of Regents not far
on our way back to the main road. [Location: Turn into
Crown Station Road. About 1 km, stop when seeing a
"Fan" on your left. There is also few short 10ft
"Willow Trees" beside.] Regents feeds in tall trees
along the road, even inside that short "Willow" trees
sometimes. They were active hawking for insects and
feeding on the lerps.

Regent Honeyeater was the dominant species at that
particular site with few Noisy Friarbirds (not as
agressive as it should be) Regents were still around
when we left at 2:30pm, although number had reduced.

This is Hiroshi's 1st ever trip to Capertee and we had
the best birding experience ever.

It is interesting to know what make Regent congregate
in big number. absence of other honeyeater such as
Noisy Miner? Good season and a good result of
conservation efforts? Or simply our luck?

Happy Birding,
Tun-Pin ONG
St Leonards, Sydney