birding-aus

Bowerbirds- bower perpectives

Subject: Bowerbirds- bower perpectives
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:50:44 +1000
Hi Mick and all,

I've come into this discussion a bit late, but was surprised to read most others have found no particular orientation in bowers of the Satin Bowerbird. I almost always find them to be oriented north-south, with the decorations at the northern end. If they aren't exactly, they are usually pretty close to this orientation. Perhaps bowerbirds in the Blue Mountains are more literate (i.e. they've read the books more than birds from other areas)!

I suspect that the "practice bowers" built by immature males might not necessarily adhere to this rule - I can't remember checking though.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba, NSW