birding-aus

Re: Buckley's Hole, Bribie Is ,SEQ

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Buckley's Hole, Bribie Is ,SEQ
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:46:33 +1000
On: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:37:24 +1000

Russ Lamb said:
"The Birds Queensland website sightings page shows reports of Spotted
Whistling-Duck and Burdekin Duck at Buckley's Hole on 3rd April. If correct,
these would be , to my mind, highly unusual and significant sightings for
SEQ.Or they could be a continuation of other highly unusual, and usually
unverified, sightings from Bribie Is.over the past few years.
Neither species is reported in Trevor Ford's 2004 publication Birds of
Buckley's Hole Conservation Park which was based not only on the authors own
extensive records from '97 -'03, but on other respected birders' lists going
back over 20 yrs.Neither are either of the alleged species thought likely by
the author to be possible or potential additions to the list.
Have any other SEQ birders seen these species in recent days?"

Russ, (and all twitchers)

The entry for Spotted Whistling Duck is obviously an error.

It seems that the wrong location was entered somehow by mistake.

See: Birding-Aus, Spotted Whistling Ducks still in Weipa,
Ben Bright <
     Wed, 5 Apr 2006 21:22:24 +1000 (EST)

"I counted 26 Spotted Whistling  Ducks a couple of days ago at the Sewage ponds
in Weipa.  Interestingly there was almost no other waterfowl present, presumed
dispersed due to the wet season.  Are these whistling ducks part of the same
group of birds that have been there at least since July last year (with no
fewer than 49 in December)?"

I e-mailed Ben about this the other day and the Birds Queensland entry has been corrected although I have received no response from Ben.
So, I don't know if the error was his or simply a glitch in the Birds
Queensland system..

I can assure everyone that there are no Spotted Whistling Ducks at Buckley's
Hole which is only a
short distance from where I now live.

Cheers

Bob Inglis