birding-aus

powerful owl

To: <>
Subject: powerful owl
From: "Laura & Nick Billington" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:44:07 +1000
this morning ,April 6, at 6.30am , I managed to retrieve a roadkilled powerful
owl with ringtail possum alongside it  on yanko rd west Pymble (Sydney) it is
in excellent condition apart from the skull which appears slightly crushed -
eyes have popped from sockets & bill is cracked but not too severely. they
really are a formidable beast when in the hand, huge feet with 2cm.long lethal
claws . anybody know if Walter boles might want it at the aussie museum,
acouple of years ago I gave him a masked owl I found at St.Ives and also
contacted him regarding an emerald dove that flew into our kitchen window at
Marsfield (northern syd. suburb) but didn't end up being collected and is
buried in the garden(yes it was dead!) the powerful owl is currently resting in
my freezer awaiting developments. yours sincerely Nick Billington