birding-aus

Atlas of Victorian Wildlife & avifauna

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Atlas of Victorian Wildlife & avifauna
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:15:34 +1000
Hello Martin and All,

I have contributed over the years to the Vic Atlas, but I am put off by the rather involved paper work necessary to submit records. If that 'red tape' could be simplified, such as with the Birds Australia Atlas Forms, (which can be complicated enough for beginners) I think there would be more submissions to the Vic Atlas.

Also, it is out of date in the following way. A year of so ago there was a Vic Field Nats trip to Hird Swamp. They were using the Vic Atlas as their base for species sighted in the area. They were very happy at the large number of birds 'never before recorded' in the area. But it was hopelessly out of date, for there were several years of observations recorded by the Birds Australia Atlas which had practically all the 'new' species added to the Vic Atlas records. I understand there is (or should be) a sharing of information between such organizations as the Vic Atlas and Birds Australia, but this is not reflected in the Vic Atlas re birds at least. In that way it appears to be way behind current observations.

I think it a great project, it seems to me though it needs to be made more user friendly and that there be greater and more prompt exchange of information between organizations and government departments.

Regards,

Chris Coleborn