birding-aus

Sydney sightings

Subject: Sydney sightings
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:17:58 +1000
On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:08:28AM +1000, Murray Lord wrote:
> a couple of POWERFUL OWLS have been reported in the city.

There was a boobook calling in the Domain 6:30am Saturday morning, not
Birdline material I know, but quite possibly less common next to the CBD
than Powerful Owls.

Carol Probets mentioned Grey Fantails being super-abundant in Katoomba.
Also here in Glebe yesterday - 3 in our tiny frontyard - that's
super-abundant for the inner-west.

The question about Willie Wagtail movements around Sydney is interesting
- I'm sure Philip Veerman knows in detail for Canberra - pity we don't
have the same data for Sydney.  I have an interesting  1934 EMU paper
by P.A. Gilbert on bird movements around Sydney - he? briefly mentions
to Willie Wagtail being an autumn visitor to the coast.

Andrew