birding-aus

NSW - Sydney-Eastern Suburbs, Centennial Park - Autumn

To: <>
Subject: NSW - Sydney-Eastern Suburbs, Centennial Park - Autumn
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:57:57 +1000
Dropped in to Centennial Park for an hour or so on friday (31/3) afternoon.  Autumn is definitely here, with 5 Grey Fantails seen within a 100m stretch of shrubby undergrowth bordering one field.  Last year was my first Grey Fantail for the park, which was a (presumably) single bird which stayed for the whole of winter, so 5 so close together was a nice surprise.  Additionally a lone immature Rufous Whistler nearby, also a bird for the park which I've only ever seen before on passage.  Also nice was to see the Brown Quail still hanging around in the same area as previously(have seen quite a few of these this season in a number of Eastern Suburbs locations).

Also large numbers of Willy Wagtails present.  I had at 8 on lawn near the Mackay Sportsground within a 50m radius at one point, with more further ahead, gave up counting them after 20 or so.  A return visit on Sunday (2/4) showed substantially fewer, although still more than at other times of the year.  Does anyone know if Willy Wagtails move around with any sort of pattern (migration/dispersal) here in coastal NSW at this time of year, becasue this seemed to indicate something of the sort.  The Grey Fantails had gone, but a (the same?) Rufous Whsitler was hanging aorund in the same area as on the Friday.

Also (Sunday) recorded a new species for my park and Eastern Suburbs lists - a Restless Flycatcher.  Great views of this bird hawking for insects over the Kensingotn Pond near Allison Rd.  Cheers.

Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274