birding-aus

More predators around the garden

Subject: More predators around the garden
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 10:20:33 +1000
Our Brown Goshawk remains an every day bird along the creek and around the
garden.

Last Sunday When Trevor & Kym Ford were here, Kym spotted its barred
underparts sweeping past the window - which took us all outside for a better
look, and the bonus sight of two Spotted Harriers wheeling over the garden
above the goshawk. Wedge-tailed Eagles are quite regular too.

This-morning, a Southern Boobook is trying to spend a quiet day in an acacia
tree quite close to the house ? and as a consequence we have had a couple of
hours so far of relentless chattering and scolding from just about every
passerine in the garden.

But, I got some good pics of a lovely owl (attached with copies of this
posting).

There have been recent sightings of a Red-backed Kingfisher along Flagstone
Creek Road, a few kilometres along from us. I?ve seen them very close to
Abberton in the past, about a hundred metres in either direction, but never
had one on the house-list. The only time one turned up here, we were away
and Michael Atzeni saw it as we he was passing, causing much chagrin!

We will be off on a bit of a birding trip later this month, and will be away
till mid-June, so I?ll be temporarily unsubscribing from birding-aus. When I
get back, I?ll do up trip reports and lists etc and will be happy to send
copies to anyone who is interested.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.