birding-aus

Crescent Honeyeaters

To: <>
Subject: Crescent Honeyeaters
From: "Neil KIRBY" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:55:02 +1000

There is a small unnamed valley to the east of the car park (that allows access into Blue Gum Swamp) at the end of Whitecross Road Winmalee (80km west of Sydney). This valley appears to support a small population of Crescent Honeyeaters from autumn to late spring when they presumably migrate into the higher areas of the Blue Mountains. Last year they turned up in late March and stayed until early November presumably nesting in the area. They promptly disappeared in early November and it was only today that I recorded their return. The valley has good stands of Blue Mountains Blue Gum (Eucalyptus deanei) and quite a few old trees with hollows. Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos, Galahs and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos have nested there and I suspect a pair of Powerful Owls nested in the valley last winter but unfortunately I was too ill at the time to fully check them out. A bushfire fighters’ track that starts near the National Park sign at the car park leads down into the valley and out again onto Shaws Ridge. It is well worth a visit although the valley does not support as wide a variety of birds throughout the year as Blue Gum Swamp. Strangely enough I did not record any Crescent Honeyeaters in Blue Gum Swamp last year or so far this autumn.

Neil Kirby

Winmalee (80km west of Sydney)