birding-aus

Whistling Kite Hunting Birds

Subject: Whistling Kite Hunting Birds
From: David Hair <>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:40:06 +1000
Hi, Everyone.
Re Bob Lake's posting of a Whistling Kite hunting airborne prey, I remember a few years ago watching a Whistling Kite hunting a Fairy Prion at Treachery Head (near Seal Rocks, NSW). There were hundreds of prions close inshore at the time. I watched for about 15-20 minutes as the kite attacked just one bird. The prion occasionally submerged but could not shake off the kite. I did not witness the end of the attack because the chase gradually headed out to sea and eventually I lost sight of the birds about two km offshore. However, my money was on the kite.

Regards,
Dave Hair.

David Hair
Laboratory Manager,
Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, UNSW, Sydney, NSW 2052
Ph. (02)93852192
Fax (02)93851558
E-mail

CRICOS Provider Code:  00098G