birding-aus

Geese/Ducks

To: "Alan Morris" <>
Subject: Geese/Ducks
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:55:51 +1000
Hi Alan and birdos,

Having received a notice from David Charley that he had located two Cotton Pygmy-geese at Lismore Lake, a group of birdos from the Clarence Valley (North Coast NSW) visited the Lake and located the two female plumaged birds Saturday afternoon (approx. 1600 hrs).  Photos and video footage were taken. There were in excess of 20 Comb-crested Jacanas, including 10+ juveniles ranging from little 'fluff balls' to nearly full grown - the most young Jacanas that I have ever seen in the one location.

At McMahons Lane Lagoon, in addition to the birds that David mentioned, we located a single Freckled Duck and 4 Glossy Ibis.  We dipped on the Blue-billed Ducks although a dark blob off in the distance may have been one.

We have also had 4+ Great Cormorant nests at the Lawrence egret colony (17 & 23 March).  I am not aware of any previous Clarence Valley nesting records of this species.

Regards

Greg Clancy