birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands, Sydney 7 March

To: <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands, Sydney 7 March
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:54:10 +1100
Hi All
I visited Warriewood Wetlands on Sydney's northern beaches between 8 and 9:30 Tuesday 7 March.  I saw 2 Nankeen Night Herons, several Little Grassbirds and I nearly stepped on the Painted Button Quail.  It was in the small patch of casuarinas before the little footbridge (ie about 10m from the Katoa Close parking area) - I wasn't expecting it to be quite so soon, so I only got a fleeting "flushed" view.
There were several Orioles calling, several spotty juvenile Sacred Kingfishers and the many Eastern Whipbirds on site were particularly active, chasing each other around quite high up in the trees.
I also heard a Koel call (plus I heard one at home in Turramurra earlier that morning).
Of interest, the Swamp Mahogany appears to be carrying lots of flower buds, so I don't know if there will be a good season or not - definitely worth keeping an eye on if they do flower well.
Cheers
Tom Wilson