birding-aus

Re: Sparrows and Blow-flys

To: "Annabel Ashworth/Hoskins" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Sparrows and Blow-flys
From: " Jon Wren" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:10:09 +1100
Annnabel and birding-ausers,
Just a thought!
We have been using an environmentally friendly fly trap here on Muralug (Prince of Wales Is. Torres St. Qld.) since the 25 Jan. Native species especially {Flycatchers} do not seem to be impacted even though we empty the flytrap 3/4 full every third day, we are not the only ones in the Village using this brand of Fly-trap. House Sparrows on Thursday Is are observed in increasing numbers there but have yet to be sighted on Muralug (POW Is.) a matter of a couple of Km. away. At Bowen Qld. I have observed a decrease in House Sparrow numbers within in the Town area yet travel to Merinda 10 Km away and there seems to be an abundance of the species, even though we travel through a Horticultural area on the way that must be reknowned for amongst the highest use of pesticide, fungicide etc. to protect the commercial value of the crops.
Climate change?

Jon Wren