birding-aus

Birds Safety first

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birds Safety first
From: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 00:08:05 +1100

Hi all,

I agree with Tom Wilson and also think it is very important to not disturb the birds.

It is hard to not disturb quail when flushing as that's what flushing is all about. But by walking in and out of a small patch of long grass where the birds are known to be breeding, there is a high chance that eggs even birds an and will get trampled on.

Even though fields are going to be harvested eventually. I  suggest that when visiting fields etc. where there is no set path, people should try to at least find a walk way or something ( a track) which is already present and stick to it for future visits, I know some people already do this. The same number of species may not always be seen, but the chances of destroying nests etc are much lower.

It is also important to properly dispose your rubbish when you leave a birding site and not leave it lying around.

This did not occur last week, when we parked at the Corner of Cupitts lane and Cornwallis Rd the first thing I saw when hopping out, was not a Quail (like I was hoping) in fact I saw 5 foam coffee cups strewn along the ground, along with a few other forms of litter. I am not definite that this filth was left here by birders it is just an assumption but considering the popularity of this site among birders, I can't think of anyone else who would have done it (what other group of people would stand in such an unusual position to enjoy some coffee ?).

So remember if we want to preserve the Birds in order to see them, we must first preserve their habitat.

In Edwin Vella's note of 25 Feb concerning the above site, he wrote:

"Also seen was a single Red-backed Button-quail (I flushed a male bird which may have been sitting on a nest),"

Does anyone know for sure if the birds are nesting in the paddock - if they are, shouldn't we be leaving them alone?
Cheers
Tom Wilson